Member Spotlight: Lake Schatz

Camp David’s Member Spotlight aims to highlight our community and the work being done in our space.

We caught up with our first subject, Lake Schatz of Consequence of Sound, to discuss the best NYC music venues, advice to live by, and the importance of taking a mid-day walk.

• • •

WHAT IS YOUR ROLE AT CONSEQUENCE OF SOUND?

I joined the company in December 2012. I started out as a contributing News Writer, but have been acting as Assistant News Editor for the last 3-4 years. Along with our News Editor, I oversee a lot of the breaking news (film, TV, and pop culture, in addition to music) that gets published throughout the day. I also write up the occasional interview and long-form op-ed.

HOW DOES LIVING IN NYC INFLUENCE YOUR TASTE IN MUSIC?

Whether it’s music, film, culture, fashion, or food, NYC is the place for unparalleled diversity. For me, being able to catch a late-night techno show, DIY punk concert, and documentary about M.I.A. within the same 7 days and in the same neighborhood is incredible.  It constantly pushes me to learn more about different genres and always remain open to new sounds.

WHAT WAS IT LIKE WORKING ON THE ANNUAL REPORT AND CHOOSING THE TOP 50 ALBUMS AND SONGS OF THE YEAR?

Working on the 2018 Annual Report was a bit stressful because there’s just so much material to sort through, weigh, and consider, and in such a short amount of time. Also, there’s a certain pressure to really capture the essence and spirit of the year. But in the end, it’s always rewarding to be able to look back on our reports and see how well we kept our fingers on the pulse of what made those 12 months really pop — whether it’s in music, film, or TV. If you look at all the Golden Globe, Emmy, Oscar, and Grammy nominations that have come out, we pretty much were on top of those releases (see: “All the Stars” by Kendrick Lamar and SZA, Spike Lee’s Best Director nomination), and we’re proud of ourselves.

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE LIVE MUSIC VENUES IN NYC?

These days, as I’ve been heavily into electronic music, I’d say Good Room, Output, and Analog BKNY— the sound systems in the latter two are especially *chef’s kiss*. Mercury Lounge, Elsewhere, Rough Trade, and Baby’s All Right are also regulars on my list. And any time I can slip onto the guest list at Radio City, I’ll go — that place never fails to amaze me visually.

WHAT TOOLS ARE CRUCIAL TO YOUR WORK ROUTINE?

Camp David cold brew. A good pair of headphones (I’m biased toward Audio-technica or Sennheiser). A place for a quick, decompressing walk– preferably somewhere that’s spacious, pretty, and just the right amount of bustling, which is where Industry City perfectly comes into play. And you need a little levity in life, so I have to say memes.

Headphones for all purposes– Bluetooth Jabra Elites, a gift to himself. Audio-Technica buds from Micro-center up the street for calls. Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones for really tuning in.

HOW HAS CAMP DAVID INFLUENCED YOUR WORK FLOW?

Honestly, I get the same amount of work done whether I’m at home or at Camp David. However, the energy of my productivity is drastically different. In the Work Lounge, I’m stimulated and motivated, and the words come out much easier. There’s also a sense that, even though we’re all working on different types of projects, we’re all still working toward something, and we’re all here because we care enough about what we do… and that’s inspiring.

It’s also important to get out of pajamas every once in awhile and eat a good schnitzel.

WHO ARE YOUR GREATEST INFLUENCES?

Is it weird that I don’t have any specific influences? I think I’m just drawn to anyone that is passionate about what they do and lives true to themselves. If that’s you, come say hi immediately!

THREE FAVORITE READS?

I’m a sucker for dystopian novels, and Aldous Huxley’s classic Brave New World has always been a favorite. A New York Magazine profile on Lady Gaga was one of the first features that truly convinced me to dive head first into music journalism, and I still remain subscribed to the magazine after nearly 10 years. Anything written by Roxane Gay.

WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU'VE EVER RECEIVED?

This is still something I’m working on every single day, both in work and my personal life: “Know when to let go.”

• • •

More Bulletins

The Newsletter